Acid reflux is a common problem faced by many . It is not life threatening . However, may severely impact quality of life in the young and old alike. Gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD) can be kept under control by lifestyle modifications . Given below are some useful tips for the same .
- 1 Avoid foods that are spicy or that can lower the pressure in the lower esophageal sphincter like caffeine , chocolates, chillies etc.
- 2 Eat smaller portions of meals instead of stuffing your stomach fully.
- 3 Losing weight lowers the pressure that the abdomen exerts over the sphincter and may reduce symptoms.
- 4 Try tilting the head end of he bed up to a slant of about 45 degrees.
- 5 Do not lie down immediately after eating as this may cause return of acid into the stomach tube.
- 6 Avoid medications that may irritate the stomach and lower the pressure in the sphincter.
- 7 Smoking should be stopped.
- 8 Alcohol should be avoided.
- 9 Gluten in diet can cause problems . Hence foods contains rye,barley should be avoided.
- 10 Do not wear tight fitting clothes as this may cause GERD.
- 11 Avoid drinking or eating foods that are extremely hot or cold.