Colon is the other name for large intestine. You should have drawn the picture of digestive system during your school days. The large intestine goes around the small intestines and is connected to rectum at the right end.
As the food starts digestion from chewing till it reaches the small intestines, the waste product is pushed into the colon for excretion. The large intestine (colon) will further squeeze the essential nutrients, minerals and water from the waste product to maximize the efficiency of digestion process. Rest is pushed out through the rectum and anus as faeces/stool.
What happens when the colon is not healthy?
A clean and optimally working colon is very important for overall health of a person. If the colon is not working as it is supposed to, it can result in diarrhoea, constipation, acne, PCOD, psoriasis, wrinkles on skin, headache, body odour, bad breath, abdominal gas etc. A bad colon can be a host to number of unwanted/bad bacteria that can eat up the essential nutrients from the food and they can also cause a number of diseases.
Also an unhealthy colon can cause issues with concentration, focus and peace of mind. You will start feeling stressed for every other situation which can again lead to a number of other psychological and physical problems.
What are some natural ways to clean colon?
Given below are some of the natural ways that you can try to clean your colon. However, there is very minimal study or evidence for each of these claims. We have carefully picked up some natural ways of colon cleansing that we think may help you stay in better health when done.
- Drink plenty of warm water. Drinking 6 to 8 glass of luke warm water through the water can help in flushing out the colon contents easily. It can also help people suffering from constipation.
- Consume diet rich in fiber. It is a well known fact that consuming fiber can help you with easy passing of stools. However, we still don’t take it seriously and suffer from constipation or issues with passing stools. Add good amounts of fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds to your everyday diet to add more fiber. You can also consider drinking juices, especially that containing Vitamin C. Vitamin C helps in better cleansing of colon. Vitamin C can be found a plenty in Lemons, Amla (Indian Goose Berries) and Oranges.
- Probiotics. Good gut bacteria are very important to absorb all the good in the food that you eat. Good bacteria help in proper digestion and absorption along with keeping a tab on growth of bad bacteria. Curd, Yogurt, pickles (vegetables dipped in vinegar) and other fermented foods are good sources of good bacteria. Apple cider vinegar can also be used to promote growth of good gut bacteria.
What happens if you cleanse your colon too much?
Side effects of too much cleansing of colon include:
- Electrolyte Imbalance
Should you see any of these symptoms, please see a good gastroenterologist near you. Or you can call us to get an appointment with Chennai’s leading gastroenterologist, Dr. Karthik Gunasekaran.
What are the benefits of colon cleansing or colon irrigation?
As the colon is cleaned, many toxins are removed from the body. Obviously, waste content after food digestion is also toxic to the body. A clean colon helps in aiding weight loss, better digestion, increased energy, mental focus and thinking. You need to take these benefits with a pinch of salt as there are no enough studies to back the claim except a small study done in 2016.
How does a gastroenterologist clean a person’s colon?
If your gastroenterologist diagnoses the cause of your problem to be related to unhealthy colon, he/she may suggest you to go for cleaning of the colon. The procedure involves the usage of two tubes that are inserted into the anal opening. Through one pipe water is pushed into the colon and the other pipe sucks the water with waste matter that is present in the colon. Around sixty litres of water is used during the process.
Should you get your colon cleansed regularly?
Maintaining healthy colon is important but that doesn’t mean that you get it flushed it out every other week or month. Over cleaning of colon can result in some issues such as:
- When the colon is flushed, it also removes some water content from the body along with wastes. Excessive cleaning can leave the body dehydrated.
- Electrolyte imbalance. Excess removal of potassium and sodium from the body can disrupt the electrolytes present in the body. These salts are needed for effective communication between the cells and the nervous system of the body.
- Chances of infection. If your gastroenterologist fails to keep his/her equipment to the cleanest extent possible, there is every chance of your colon getting infected.
- Excessive removal of good bacteria is not good. It can promote the growth of bad bacteria as there are less good guys to keep a check on them.
Is colon cleansing effective for people suffering from piles (Hemorrhoids)?
Firstly, it is best to contact a good gastroenterologist to treat piles. After diagnosing the condition, he/she may suggest if colon cleansing is good for you. The toxins that got accumulated over a period of time due to lifestyle lead and food that is consumed are cleaned in the colon irrigation/cleansing process. This can help in preventing constipation and consequently external hemorrhoids. Chances of recurrence of piles also go down with regular colon cleansing. Many colorectal surgeons opine that colon cleansing helps in getting rid of piles and also making the stools softer.
Keeping the colon clean is important for a healthy body and healthy mind. Colon cleaning naturally can get rid of some of the issues such as constipation, diarrhoea etc. If you think you need colon cleansing, contact your gastroenterologist and check with him/her. First start with natural ways and if your issues are not still resolved, you can go for a doctor’s intervention.